April 19, 2016
Uttar Pradesh government has unveiled a New Sports Policy which aims at assisting sportspersons from the state. Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has recently announced pensions and also assured special quota in government jobs for sportspersons who win medals.
The new policy would create transparency in the provision of employment in the government sector through well-defined criteria for sportspersons who win medals in recognized international competitions or for outstanding sportspersons of international stature who have represented India.
CM Akhilesh Yadav presented the provisions, benefits and some special facts of the Policy as under:
- The policy would entail significant increases in cash rewards for medal winners at international events.
- Cash rewards are also there for winners of government sports awards.
- Assistance for coaches/institutions producing champions.
- The policy hiked the award money to be given to sport persons from the state who win medals in the forthcoming Olympics. Gold medal winners will get Rs. 6 crore, silver medal winners Rs. 4 crore and those winning bronze medals Rs. 2 crore.
- Hike in financial assistance for outstanding state level players from Rs 2000 to Rs 4000 per month, as they spend the prime of their youth in pursuit of intensive training.
- National players will now get financial assistance of Rs. 6,000, up from earlier Rs. 3,000 per month. International players will now get enhanced assistance of Rs. 10,000 per month from earlier Rs. 5,000.
- Incentives for the coaches and institutions that produce medal winners.
- Diet grant to sportspersons in government-run sports hostels would be increased so that – upcoming players could get a healthy diet to prepare themselves for competition.
- Multi-purpose halls will be built in the rural areas to offer a platform to the rural youth to show their sporting talents.
The Uttar Pradesh Government has also started a scheme to honour renowned sportsperson of the state with prestigious Laxman Awards and Rani Laxmi Bai Awards. Under this scheme, sportsperson are given a citation, a bronze statue of Laxman/Rani Laxmi Bai, a scroll of honour and a cash amount of Rs 3,11,000. The Laxman award is given to male athletes while Rani Laxmi Bai award is given to female athletes for excelling at the national/ international level.
Uttar Hamara feels that this new policy will boost the morale of the youngsters and very soon Uttar Pradesh would turn into a sport hub with international sporting facilities on a par with the best in the country.