Khusro Bagh is a large walled garden close to the Allahabad Junction railway station, in which tombs of Khusro, the eldest son of Emperor Jahangir and Sultan Begum are located. The three sandstone mausoleums within this garden, present an exquisite example of Mughal architecture.
The tomb has a large Chhatri that surmounts the plinth and inscriptions. Next to the Begum’s tomb is the tomb of Khusrau’s sister, Nithar. Architecturally, this is the most elaborate of the three. It lies on an elevated platform and is adorned with panels depicting the scalloped arch motif. Within the plinth are rooms whose ceilings have been elaborately painted with stars in concentric circles. The central room has on its walls floral decorations depicting Persian cypresses, wine vessels, flowers and plants.
Khusrau’s tomb was completed in 1622, while that of Nithar Begum’s, which lies between Sultan Begum’s and Khusrau’s tombs, was built on her instructions in 1624-25. Nithar’s mausoleum is however empty and it does not contain her tomb within it.
The garden has now lent its name to the surrounding locality of Khusro Bagh, which is now bustling township.
It takes two to three hours to visit the entire Bagh and sunrise the best time to visit. It is open for all days of the week between 7:00am to 7:00pm.